Breaking down the pros and cons of the newest Kindle release.
There are no shortage of tablets currently on the market in order to meet every consumer's need―playing games, listening to music, reading books, checking emails, and even those looking to replace their laptop for a smaller option. However, when it comes to e-book readers specifically, there has always been one brand that has remained dominant for those looking to take their books on the go: The Amazon Kindle.
Since the first Kindle was first released in 2007 by Amazon.com, these popular e-book readers have made it easier than ever for users to download, browse, shop and read their favorite books, newspapers, blogs, magazines and any other digital media document that you could desire. However, the series of readers, which began solely as black and white e-ink electronic displays, have now come to include several impressive models which include full color displays and full touch screen capabilities, rivaling some of the most popular tablets currently available. And with the last few releases in particular, Amazon has proved that the Kindle is no longer just for reading books.
The latest and greatest of these devices is the new Kindle Fire HDX and Kindle Fire HDX 8.9". With a dynamic HDX color display, powerful quad-core processor and improved battery life, how does this device hold up against other similar tablets on the market? Today we are breaking down the pros and cons of the newest Kindle Fire HDX tablets:
Pros of the Kindle Fire HDX:
- - The "Mayday" button: If you have seen any of Amazon's new promotion ads or commercials for their newest HDX tablet, then you may have seen a preview of how their new "Mayday" button works. It is basically on-device tech support that connects you with an Amazon expert 24/7, 365 days a year. These tech support experts can even access your screen and show you step by step how to use different features of the Kindle Fire HDX, which is handy if you are someone who is less than familiar with tablet devices. This is a service that is exclusive to Kindle Fire HDX tablets.
- - A super fast processor: With a powerful 2.2 GHz quad-core professor, this is the fastest processor you will find on a 7" tablet, and it's 3x more powerful than the previous generation of Kindle Fire. It also features 2GB of RAM for fast, flawless game play and video.
- - A gorgeous, high-color display: The 7" HDX display is 1920x1200 with high pixel density (323 PPI) and fantastic color accuracy (100% sRGB), making this tablet display far superior to some of the other standard HD displays available. The 8.9" HDX display is 2560x1600 with an "unsurpassed pixel density" (339 PPI) and the same perfect color accuracy as the 7" model.
- - Powerful cameras: The 8.9" version of the HDX also features an 8MP rear-facing camera with LED flash for high-res photos and 1080p HD video, while both feature a front facing 720p HD camera that can be used for video calls.
Cons of the Kindle Fire HDX:
- - Battery life: While one of the biggest claims of this new device was an improved battery life (something that has been requested by many Kindle users), several reviewers are still claiming that the HDX model has less than stellar battery capabilities. A review by USA Today claimed that they got less than 5 hours of battery from their 7-inch HDX, even though Amazon claims that you can get up to 11 hours of battery life in mixed use, and up to 17 hours for reading in between charges.
- - App store options: The amount of third-part applications available in the Amazon app store has definitely grown over the years (they now claim that there are more than 80,000 third party apps in their app store), this number is still a small fraction of the amount of apps available in the Android or Apple marketplace. While this may not be a huge deal breaker for those primarily looking to read on their device, it definitely will limit the amount of options for games.
What do you think of the new Amazon Kindle Fire HDX? Will you be putting one on your wish list this holiday season? Let us know in the comments below!